Tuesday, April 2, 2013

3-24/3-30 In the land of Queensland from Noosa to Cooroy and way up to Airlie Beach

So after a nice stay in Brisbane I hoped on a one way greyhound bus ticket up to Noosa Heads to meet a new friend, Ian, of my friend Paul Jenkins, the tennis pro, for some R and R. The bus is one of the only cheap transportations that you can take up Noosa besides the train which runs to Nambour or Cooroy which then you'll have to take a bus to Noosa. I arrived looking out the window of the bus at gentleman who looked very similar to Paul and we hit it off right from the start. He first showed me a little of Hastings st, the heart of Noosa, before the sun went down and we caught a great view at Noosa Heads surf club bar and restaurant. The food didn't look my style but if your into killer beach views than this is place for you. After that we headed off and made dinner while having an amazing talk about life. Now there is many different ways you can look at life, some of my examples is either through making money and making people happy, or giving up the whole idea of money and making yourself happy to just plain being happy with what you have or chasing your dreams. We talked and talked about everything and he gave me something that he has seen throughout his whole that I now look at things a little differently for my future by understanding new doors that I could take in the life ahead of me. Dozing off into the next day we headed out to the beach and got a little swim in with a nice juice/tea stop on the way back. We ate some healthy grub, crackers with tuna and sardines, and then had an interesting lesson on golf. I've never played or put in any energy about golf and what I got out of it while Ian was teaching me was that in every sport you must have technique vs. strength. I always thought if you lifted this or you stretched that you would be able to do this, but what it all comes down to is following a technique and trying to stay with that under any pressure or situation. If you watch pros do what they do it looks so easy but when you try it you have to think hard about what your doing vs. what you are seeing.
After the lesson the heat turned up and I was feeling a little weezy because I'm so used to cold dry weather to warm dry weather with no humidity. We grabbed some grab and watched a little special on the tele called four corners that was showing you the inside scoop on how the Iraqi military is completely helpless when the U.S./Allied forces are trying to get them on their feet for war. I was a little shocked and can't believe how much money we drained on the war when they can't even take over now. Then we headed to a semi hot sleep and woke up getting ready to head out to meet a new friend, Martha Shepard, who lives in Cooroy, just up the road about 20km, that saw me when I was just a baby.
I find it funny that when you talk to people on the phone without meeting them your imagination portrays the person completely different from what you think and how they act in person.
Ian and I grabbed some healthy breakfast of eggs, green tea, slice of grain toast, oats and fruits with almond milk and then headed up to Cooroy to meet David, Martha's husband, who was taking me to their farm called Galeru. Said my goodbyes to Ian and I was off to the beautiful countryside of south Queensland. When I got there Martha was completely different from how she spoke and we had some very interesting conversations about how she met my mom back in the day when I was just a little dude while she was working her many different positions for misses fields cookies. Her husband on the other hand is a very talented botanist who loves different kinds of fruits and he also planted the whole mountain side which has around 1,000 trees. David also has a very imaginative cinematographic theatrical side that writes plays and books. The both are very talented individuals who still carve very far into the stone of life and made me realize that in order to do what you love you must chase after it. I found it amazing and very peaceful being out in Cooroy which was a little like the mountain feel I got when I was growing up. I also enjoyed giving a helping hand in some farm duties in the meantime to keep busy because it felt like time stopped out on the hill rather than in a fast paced city. In the last night of my stay in Cooroy David and I had a very interesting talk about what would happen to the world if little Kim Jung would send off rockets blazing towards the U.S. Aren't we worried as a whole world what would happen to our environment or how it would affect our generations to come and what kind of mess it would be?
Something to think about and then the next day I said goodbye before heading off with Martha's lovely neighbors, Beryl and Trevor, to pick up a car in Brisbane for a long adventurous drive about 1,100 km one way up the coast for a Great Barrier Reef dive.
Beryl and Trevor are not only two South African amazing neighbors of Martha but also very interesting world travelers who have been all over the globe and are trying to see all of Australia. When I mean all of Australia I mean every road and almost all over the desert by camping. I love camping and when I met these two I finally believed that there really is campers out there who don't stay in hotels but mother natures backyard. We had some amazing talks about breaking bad and also about how small the BMW Isetta is because Ian traveled all over Europe in it with a friend. Said goodbye and hopped in the car off up the coast on the M1/A1 for which I wish I had more time for because it was almost as amazing as Tasmania when I got outside of Mackay. I had a little tiny map on a piece of paper from a google map with no GPS that did really no help compared to the road signs and some good energy of letting the roads take me wherever. I left around 930 and got there at around 2030 that included a couple stops with stretches. I don't know what it is about the road but it was a surprisingly nice cruise and when I got there I didn't care about sleeping in the car besides the attack of Mosquitos in the middle of the night. I woke up a little groggy but was determined to find a good boat that would take me out to the reef for a nice free dive. So I drive around and asked a local hotel where a good cruise was and they pointed me to the whitsundays cruise to the Great Barrier Reef which I made it in time with 20 minutes to spare. The cruise itself runs from 800 to 1800 with a 4 hour reef swim/dive/snorkel/hangout in between which I find if you pay 210.00au to hangout in the middle of nowhere next to a reef you may never see again in your life, thanks to humans, your mentally ill not to get in the water to see an amazingly different side of the world and take the risk getting stung by a jellyfish that rarely happens. When I got to the reef my go pro died so I went down to where the camera man uploads his photos and asked if he had a USB charger which he luckily did but my go pro wouldn't charge. At that same moment an Argentinian gentleman was there asking me if I had the SD card that works for the same go pro he has and we swapped usage the whole time out on the reef which they got some amazing helicopter views from above. We then headed back to Airlie beach and I was pumped to hope back in the car for another 1100km adventure down the coast again knowing it was going to take all night. When I got in the car I actually didn't realize how crazy the situation was with all the bad things that could happen in a snap of a second. I was going to stop and get gas where I got gas before at a Woolworths that had 8c off every liter of petrol you buy with one receipt from Woolworths but it was closed so I pushed it to a town that I thought was going to have a gas station open. The town that I got to was Marlborough and all the petrol stations were closed early due to the holiday Easter weekend. I sat there with the gas light on wondering what am I going to do and then it hit me like a Tube with a gas tank. I would recommend not doing that because one its illegal, two petrol is nastiest mouthwash poison you could clean your teeth with, and three you'll be burping hot petrol breath for hours on end. Well it worked for another 100km and I arrived to Rockhampton breathing like a dragon who needed sleep. Filled up the tank and got back on the road for a crazy all night drive that I had to stop for an hour because my eyes were dozing farther than the stars. Woke up with that hour of help and hit the road till the sunlight woke me up out of my comma. I made it the whole way back with a petrol stop at the end to fill up the tank for the rental car company so I didn't get charged 2.50au a liter for petrol.
Everything was all good when i turned the car back in and I remember the dash showing 32901 when I left which meant I went around 2300km in two days smashing a lot of Bugs, crazy stupid. Got to the airport for a nice thirty minute snooze that didn't help but I couldn't fall asleep and now about to head off to Sydney for a couple to days to see my homie Kevin who lives right in kings cross before I head to New Zealand.

Some thoughts:

You'll find me sitting in front of someone years ahead of me opening up my eyes to what happiness is. For I saw this before but never really took it till someone explained stories of friends lost in greeds ever stressful hold. I soaked it in and realized that I have ones around me filled in the same desire. Do I act to prevent lose or do I find my own path of happiness in life that makes my future?

You'll find me sitting in a field on a mountainside away from civilization surrounded by venomous snakes that hide in the bush I can't see through. I'm not worried for I know that there is no worry of what could happen in the next foot step. My heart beats slowly and my eyes open to pure bliss colors that make me alive in that moment of time which will never happen again in this lifetime. Do you worry about what can kill you or do you look it in the face and laugh saying you can't take what I've had in this lifetime?

You'll find me driving through the cloudy sunset that rises a full red ball over the horizon brightening the sky as if the light never left. The turns are getting windy and the stars are magnificently bright as skyscraper lights in the distance. My mind races to one goal and one goal only to get back to where I know I need to be. I opened a door that can't be closed and I know what I've done is not who I am. Learn from your mistakes and let go of the things you did by looking at all the good things you do.

Some music:
Sky fall - by Adele
Open your heart - by cosmic gate
Every other way - by Bt
Inspiration - Ian Van Dahl
A&B Group Therapy episodes 16-20

Some cheap travels by Julian Loyola
Noosa
Top cheap fun bars to go to
Noosa Heads surf club
Location: Hastings street
Trading hours: lunch & dinner
For a great view with a some local Australian beer on tap then this your place to be. But if you interested in a healthy living then I would just come for the view and not the food/alcohol.
Halas lodge
Location: in town but up the hill next to the national park
Trading hours: brekkie to dinner
This place isn't just a bar but a hostel as well with a huge facility including a pool table, ping long, and restaurant. The bar is very mellow with tons of young to old life and the beers are 5 dollars which is nice plus the restaurant has ok food, Ian and I said: if your hungry its good.
Transportation:
Greyhound bus from Sydney to Noisa for 29.00au, cheapest travel besides hitch hiking or getting a go card in Brisbane and taking the train up for 18 then a bus to Noosa which is around 10 I think?
Getting a hostel that has a transport bus from Noosa junction to the hostel

Hostels in the area:
Nomads Noosa
Location: Noosa dr
Trading hours: all day
Located 800 meters from the beach and being right in town for 28 a night is a bit pricy but the place is very nice with free surfboard hires.
Halse lodge
Location: 150m from town and the national park
Trading hours: all day
This is the place where I would stay considering everything that it has available: ping pong, pool, wifi, bar, and restaurant just 30 seconds from where you stay, convenient.

Airlie beach:
Nomads
Location: 354 Shute harbour road
Trading hours: all day
For a great place to stay always as a backpacker for around 29au a night this is the place and almost every major city you go to in the Australia region has one. The one in Airlie beach offers discounts on all the whitsunday cruises or sail trips as well, just as all the other backpacker places do in the region.
Magnums
Location: 366 shutea harbour road
Trading hours: all day
This is the place I would stay for sure because it looked nice and tighty from the outside with a hot deal of 19au a night as well.
All the hostels in Airlie have great deals with also being walking distance to town and also having free shuttles to where the cruise and sail tour ships are.
I didn't get to check out the bars due to the driving and all but Paddy's Shenanigans looked busy and filled with young kids.
Transportation:
If renting a car definitely go with Apex rental cars because if your under 25 they won't charge you any fees for your age and will give you great deals on small cars.









































































No comments:

Post a Comment