Saturday, April 13, 2013

4-6 The New Zealand Tour South Island: Wellington Inter islander to Picton down the east coast to Christchurch and ending up at Castle Hill

So after the drop off of my new friend and car companion I set out alone to hop on the inter islander, ferry that takes you from the North Island, Wellington, to the South Island, Picton. The cruise was surprisingly not as bumpy as I thought and once I got into the channel of the South Island it was purely spectacular. After taking some photos I headed off the ferry and down the east coast motorway one to Christchurch. The coast was very beautiful and filled with stunning greenery of not only trees but of the ocean water being green as well. Making my way down I stopped at Kaikura to refuel and found that you can swim with dolphins for a mere 170nz but at the time it was a little cloudy and I wanted to keep going further to see what really happened to Christchurch. Upon the arrival of getting into the city of Christchurch itself was a little tricky considering their public planning of roads makes no sense. If you don't pay attention to the signs that point down a street that isn't that street but the next one then you'll be lost in a jiffy which is really easy to do. With no map or gps I finally made it to the city centre and got an eery vibe from the place because most of the buildings are abandoned or boarded up feeling like a war zone just happened. I pondered around and made my way to a really cool small center called Re:Start which is made out of 100% recyclables and reused storage containers as well. I got some amazing inspiration from this part after I was feeling a little eery before and thought there is some hope for the generations ahead. After the wondering around I ate a nice tuna wrap with greens, then looked up a climbing spot 80km west on the motorway 73 thanks to the help center, and decided to head off in that direction. As the sun was slowly climbing down the mountains were getting bigger and I finally found a place to sleep for the night at a picnic area next to some trees that was just down the road from Castle Hill.

Bye for now...

Some thoughts:

You'll find me staring at a building that has remnants of what people left in the midst of an earthquake and while I close my eyes I can see it all happening before me as a past flash of panic. I take a deep breath in and the let the air slowly fill my lungs as I soak up all the terror that happened around me. I hold on to it as long as I can then let the air slowly flow out and let go of this eery painful tear-eyed feeling. My mind is clear again and I see a new city made out of recyclables for the city that was hurt by earth. I think this is genius and this is what we should be doing everywhere around this planet so that we don't have piles of plastics and garbage left behind for our kids kids to live with.
I hope you recycle most of your waste and teach others to reuse before we find ourselves leaving something behind that we didn't fix ourselves.








































































No comments:

Post a Comment